Registration is closed.
How the Main Festival operates:
The participants are scheduled according to the class or classes they register in. Each class will take the form of a recital. Once all the participants have performed the adjudicator will speak to the participants and give them constructive written and verbal feedback regarding their performance. All participants will receive a certificate of participation as well as a mark for their performance. Placement stickers will indicate 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in each class. In the case of large classes there may be more than one section and there will be placements in each section but only one overall winner of that class.
- Participants are responsible for their own accompanists.
- No photography or audio/video recording is allowed during any Festival classes or adjudications.
Admission: please see the Ticket page for full details.
Accepted age for all classes is the competitor's age as of December 31, 2016.
The Main Festival welcomes solo and ensemble performers in the following disciplines. Please refer to specific dIscipline syllabus for information regarding classes and requirements.
HARP: April 22-23
- Junior, Intermediate, Senior and Open classes
- Duets and Ensembles
CLASSICAL GUITAR: April 22-23
- Age and Grade level classes
- Guitar Ensemble class
PIANO: Junior April 20-29; Intermediate April 10-18; Senior April 10-21
- Junior for Grade levels 1 to 6
- Intermediate for Grade levels 7 to 9
- Senior for Grade level 10 and up
- Concerto classes
- Ensemble classes
STRINGS: Junior Violin April 10-16; Intermediate and Senior Violin April 24-28; Viola April 9-30; Cello and Bass April 23-29
- Junior for ages 12 and under
- Intermediate for ages 18 and under
- Senior Open classes
- Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass
- String Duets and Chamber Ensembles
CLASSICAL VOICE / MUSIC THEATRE: April 17-26
- Junior Classical Voice for ages 14 and under
- Intermediate Classical Voice for ages 18 and under
- Senior Classical voice Open classes
- Musical Theatre and Vocal Ensemble for all age categories
WOODWINDS / BRASS: April 13-19
- Woodwind classes arranged by Age, Grade of study or Years of study.
- Woodwind and Brass Ensembles
- Brass classes arranged by Age
CHINESE ETHNIC INSTRUMENTS: April 28-29
- Grades 1 to 10 and Adult Open classes
- Bowed and Plucked String Instruments
- Wind Instruments
- Small Ensembles
- Repertoire played must be chosen fromthe selection of syllabi compiled by the BC Chinese Music Association. For information please call: 604-327-8807
- Please refer to the Chinese Ethnic Instruments Syllabus for information regarding classes and requirements.
*Dates subject to change.
- Immanuel Baptist Church: 109 E 40th Ave. (Chinese Ethnic Instruments)
- Kerrisdale Presbyterian Church: 2733 W. 41st Ave. (Jr. Piano / Int. Piano / Int. & Sr. Violin and Viola)
- Spirit of Life Lutheran Church: 375 W. 10th Avenue (Classical Guitar)
- St. Helen's Anglican Church: 4405 W 8th Ave (Cello / Ensembles)
- St. James Community Square: 3214 W 10th Ave (Woodwinds / Brass)
- St. Matthias and St. Luke Anglican Church: 680 W 49th Ave (Classical Voice / Music Theatre)
- To Be Announced (Senior Piano / Junior Piano)
- Unitarian Church of Vancouver: 949 W. 49th Ave. (Junior Violins and Viola / Classical Voice / Music Theatre)
- Vancouver Academy of Music: 1270 Chestnut Street (Harp)
- Vancouver Symphony School of Music: 843 Seymour Street (Senior Piano)
*Venues subject to change.